Report by the Treasurer
· Kristyn is our new treasurer as Sandra is leaving
· We get membership cards every quarter
· Sheilagh responded to the survey to keep the status quo regarding keeping name on the cards
· We do hand out the pins when they come in.
Community Outreach project:
· Tuesday morning we have a learn to quilt at Limberlost
· Currently working string blocks and the ladies are doing well
· We have 4-6 ladies coming to the sessions
· We still need 4-6 yards for backing, borders, and binders
· Need a volunteer for June 10 to help out
· The survey indicates the ladies would like longer times
· London chaplaincy wants us to start one at the Southdale any volunteers to spearhead this new location and we would need a lot of supplies
· One option is to alternate between Southdale and Limberlost
Modern Quilt Report:
Quilt Con Austin TX – February 19 to 23, 2015
· Currently waiting list for hotels
· Important Dates:
June 1: Quiltcon Schedule is released. www,Quiltcon.com
June 13: Last day to join as member to receive QuiltCon discounts
June 16: Last day to update member roster to receive QuiltCon discounts
June 17: Discount code and registration tutorial sent to all members
June 24: Registration open for all MQG members
July 1: Registration open to non members
July 30: Last day to cancel QuiltCon registration and receive a full refund
Michael Miller Challenge:
· You can make anything you want
· It needs to be quilted
· Check Instagram/Pinterest to see what other members have started/completed hashtag #mqgfabricchallenge
· Can use any solid fabric you want
· All submissions need to be uploaded to the MQG Website. Click here is a link to the instructions. (Must have a log in with the MQG. If you do not have this info, email Sheilagh and she can have it resent to you)
· Due July 25, 2014
LMQG logo challenge:
· Sheilagh brought in our sample logo from Spoonflower
· Talked about 10 minute blocks
· 100 Modern Quilts Blocks- City Sampler
· Sheilagh discussed paint chips as they close to the colour for our quilt and we can use them for shopping making sure we have the same colours. The information will be posted on our website. (Link to Challenge Info here)
· We should have our blocks completed by December of this year.
· Sheilagh will be placing the Spoonflower website on our site.
Program Committee Update: Mary and Sonya
· Windsor Modern Guild is having a dying workshop in Aug ( info was emailed to all members)
· Cost of it is $126 plus supplies
· Chantal suggested we have a talk on material
· We can bring in Anita to talk about threads
Book review by Jan:
Jan reviewed the book "Transparency Quilts" by Weeks Ringle & Bill Kerr. This book plays with creating the illusion of transparency within the quilt designs. It gives great pointers for fabric selections and gives alternate colour suggestions for the quilt patterns in the book. Jan also shared that she subscribes to the "Modern Quilts Illustrated" which "is an advertisement-free magazine that takes a colorful and graphic approach to modern quilting. Printed on high-quality acid-free paper, the magazine is published three times a year. Each issue contains three original patterns (issues 7-9 will have four original patterns) and one project, in addition to discussions on color palettes, helpful tools, innovative techniques and more. " - Modern Quilt Studio.
Click here to have a closer look at the Modern Quilts Illustrated!
Christine has shared the following links to tutorials for the "Quilt-As-You-Go" technique:
1. Lily Quilts
2. Fave Quilts: Strip Quilting
3. Fave Quilts: Quilt as You Go
Kristyn shared Child like Fascination's great tutorial for widening your ironing board.
Chantal shared an article from Generation Q Magazine about Toronto Quilter, Libs Elliott. It is definitely worth the read!
Ailsa Craig Quilt Festival - Quilts of Great Britain - May 19th-24th
Fibre Expressions IX at the Central Public Library, 251 Dundas Street in downtown London from May 2 – May 29.
CQA's Quilt Canada - June 11-14
Chicago International Quilt Festival - June 19-21
Quilts at the Creek - August 16-17
Show and tell
· June 14, at 10:00am
- Welcome & Introductions
- Treasurer's Report
- Community Outreach Report
- Modern Quilt Guild Report
- Book Review - Kristyn
- Show & Share
- After the Meeting we will be holding our very first "Sew-In". Please bring a lunch and a project to work on.