· We have 2 new members Nancie & Christine. Welcome!
Report by the Treasurer
- Kristyn reported we have Paypal 53.73 & Libro 693.58.
Community Outreach project:
- Mary V. shared the background of the project with our newer members. There is one community participant that has finished one quilt and is starting on her second. Another participant is working on two quilts at the same time.
- The sessions have slowed a bit for the summer. There will be two next month, August 5 & 26th.
- Nancy P. donated some batting. Thank you Nancy!
- Some money was donated to the project and they have purchased a 6"x24" quilting ruler.
- Mary V. prepared a write up re: community project some time ago to send to the Modern Quilt Guild for their newsletter. It is currently being edited (pictures being added) and will be sent to Jacquie Gering.
- The London Community Chaplaincy has asked to expand the program to their Southdale location. We currenlty have limited resources.
- Mary & Kristyn have proposed that a quilt be created by the LMQG to raffle off to raise money for the Community Project. Chantal proposed Members each create a block from Cheryl Arkinson's "Oh Canada!" Quilt. Chantal will contact Cheryl to ask for permission. Update: Chantal has contacted Cheryl and she has given permission. We have promised to keep Cheryl updated on what we decide to do.
- Mary V. is looking into the legalities of the raffle.
- Chantal introduced the fundraising effort created by the Quilts of Valour. For $5 you can purchase a mug with pre-cut fabric and pattern inside. The precuts are to be assembled based on the pattern provided and mailed to Quilts of Valour.
- If anyone is interested in organizing the raffle quilt or have any other fundraising ideas for our community project, please let us know at August's meeting.
Modern Quilt Guild Update:
- Registration for Quiltcon 2015 is open. Many workshops are sold out. If you are interested in attending, you can be put on wait lists for the workshops. So far, all of the lectures are still available.
- Quilts of Gees Bend are the keynote speaker. To learn more about them, click here to watch the documentary.
- Be sure to watch you inbox for the pattern of the month.
- Michael Miller Fabric Challenge due date is July 25, 2014. All images of entries need to be uploaded to the MQG Community website by this date. If you are unsure on how to update, please email us. Sheilagh has uploaded Mary Williams', Lyndsey's & Veronica's entired.
- Our very own Logo Challenge is here too! Click here for the outline of the challenge.
The Practical Guide to Patchwork by Elizabeth Hartman(Preview in link) reviewed by Sheilagh
Elizabeth's blog: www.ohfransson.com
This book led to some great discussion about the fact that "Nothing is Original"
October 9-10, 2014 Kaffe Fassett Workshop presented by Hyggeligt Fabrics
1) Overlapping TIles
2) Mediterranean Hexagons
More details to follow.
August 16-17, 2014 Quilts at the Creek
- Mary V. suggested we start a Guild Library. If anyone is interested in being our Guild Librarian, please let us know at August's meeting.
- We are trying to set up a "Stitch in the Park Evening". Watch for an email.
Next Meeting: August 9, 2014
- Welcome & Introductions
- Treasurer's Report
- Community Outreach Report/Fundraising Ideas
- Modern Quilt Guild Report
- Book Review - Nancy Proctor
- Review of Programming Ideas (Watch for email prior to meeting)
- Show & Share