Meeting Date: March 8, 2014
Report by the Treasurer
· Bank balance $527
· Pay pal account $17.42
· We paid annual dues to Modern Quilting
· Kristyn will be taking the treasurer role from Sandra
Community Outreach project:
· Community Housing has 4 participants and they are working on the Denise Schmidt blanket and working on blanket stiches and close to being done
· Currently Veronica, Kristyn, Mary are helping
· Partnering with other guilds
· Kristyn proposed teaching them how to quilt, possibly a string quilt at the end of March
· Are there enough sewing machines?
· Kristyn indicated she has 2 machines but need to determine if they require any work
· We are currently teaching instead of giving quilts
· A call has gone out for more fabric, a bolt of muslin, old sheets unused fabrics.
· Kristyn will create a list of supplies needed for rulers, cutting mats, cutting scissors, and the need for 3-4 machines. All supplies can be drop at Chantal’s store.
Modern Quilt Report:
· New fabric challenge by Michael Miller for this June same rules apply to the last one, however we can add solids and everyone is participating
· Pins and membership cards (we can get some discounts at some stores)
· Quilt Con classes will sell off quickly so book now
· $35 membership fee for our guild and if you only want to be a member for MOD the fee is $25, and Kristyn is our membership person
Modern quilt logo challenge some suggestions were:
· Each do an individual block 12” by 12”
· Do a centre and have our individual blocks around it
· Buy products and divided amongst the members so we can have a uniform look
· Sheilagh will be looking at Spoon Flower for the middle of the quilt.
· We could make a pennant and stringing it and display that way.
· Are we interested in having it displayed in the Western Fair showcase in September?
· We would need to have this done by September
Creative sewing Festival:
· We could possibly have a free booth if so we could coordinate with the MOD in Toronto booth for October
Discussion on program committee:
· We all agreed to have one and Mary and Sonja and if you have any ideas to forward them to the committee.
· Discussion of Snow dyeing
· Mary discussed Nancy Latchford dyeing would be approximately $35 per person
Book review by Sonja:
· “Quilting Artistry”, and “Quilting by Line and Colour” by Yoshiko Jenzenji
· Yoshiko style is minimalistic but stylish she came to GTA 1970 had never quilted before and she is classically trained in the Tea Ceremony and never had seen quilts before. She viewed quilts by the Mennonites, and decided to quilt and morphed into her own style. She is currently in Bali working on her quilts
· You can use command strips for wall hangings.
· Sheilagh mentioned “The Principles of Designs – Adventures in Design” by Joen Wofrom
· Micaela mentioned “Colorfic “Pam Goeche Dindorf”
· March 17 Ailsa Craig Trunk Show at the Arts Project from 6-8pm
· March 11, Embroidery Guild Trunk Show on Tuesday Night
· SAQA a lot of members in Western part of province and we in Burlington
· Quilts by John Willard at the Burlington Arts Centre
Show and tell:
Chantal working on her red/white piece
Sonja, Kristyn showed their quilts
Mary: embroidery guild members are selling their work on Tuesday March 11, viewed “INCHIES”. The embroidery guild have lots programs and guess speakers from 1-2pm
· April 12 at 10:00am
· Treasurer's Report
· Community Outreach Update
· Modern Quilt Guild Update
· Book Review: Mary
· Review & Show/Share of those who attend the Jacquie Gering Workshop
· Update from Sonia & Mary re: Programming Committee
· Sheilagh to update us on the logo for the challenge
· Show & Share